10 Interesting Facts of the Temple of Heaven
Welcome to China’s Temple of Heaven!
1. Many books, magazines, and journey web sites desire to make use of the photographs of the triple-gabled round temple within the Temple of Heaven to characterize Beijing. It has develop into considered one of Beijing’s actually prized landmarks.
2. Along with the Forbidden Metropolis, Temple of Heaven is one other supreme instance of the imperial structure in Ming Dynasty. All of the architectures had been embellished with colourful crimson to characterize the dignity of the imperial court docket in historic China.
three. Occupying an space of two,700,000 sq. meters (three,529,412 sq. yards), the Temple of Heaven is four occasions bigger than the Forbidden Metropolis.
four. The principle constructions within the Temple of Heaven lie alongside the south-north axis as with all temples in China.
5. Essentially the most placing constructing within the Temple of Heaven is the tall, round Corridor of Prayer for Good Harvests. Its location was decided by the emperor’s Fengshui masters as the precise level the place heaven and Earth met.
6. Seen from above, all of the temple halls spherical and the bottom sq., shapes additionally respectively symbolizing the heaven and earth. The wood pillars help the ceiling with none nails or cement.
7. Within the south of the park lies the Imperial Vault of Heaven. It’s a spherical corridor tiled in blue and standing on a white platform. Simply north of the altar is the Echo Wall. Right here, a whisper can journey clearly from one finish to your buddy’s ear on the different.
Nevertheless, the Echo Wall won’t work if there’s a bellowing tour group within the center. Be sure to get right here early if you wish to expertise it correctly.
eight. The Round Altar to the south was for astronomical use in historic China. It additionally served because the sacred place to carry the annual winter solstice ceremony. The mound consists of three tiers that characterize Earth, the mortal world and heaven.
The higher tier within the Round Altar is adorned with 9 stone rings. the quantity 9 has particular significance in Chinese language cosmology, for there are 9 layers to heaven.
9. The temple park is mostly accessed by way of its west gate. Nevertheless, there are four gates at either side of the place. The standard ceremonial route approached the altar by way of the south gate.
10. The Temple of Heaven used to served because the sacred place the place emperors of the Ming Dynasty (1368 – 1644) and Qing Dynasty (1644 – 1911) held the Heaven Worship Ceremony. First in-built 1420, it’s China’s largest and most consultant current masterpiece amongst China’s historic sacrificial buildings.
Along with the Nice Wall, Forbidden Metropolis and Summer season Palace, The Temple of Heaven is the should see in Beijing. It presents you a terrific likelihood to be taught concerning the Chinese language historic philosophy, historical past and faith.